Friday, August 2, 2019

Spin the Dawn: Book Review

Hello,

Today we will be talking about the latest Fantasy Monthly title that was sent during July. Spin the Dawn by Elisabeth Lim is based on a Mulan retelling story. That initial description is what drew me to the book and pushed me to choose it for the month of July. Let's just say that I am not disappointed! Before I jump into my review, here is the book synopsis:


goodreads.com
"Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in the land, but as a girl, the best she can hope for is to marry well. When a royal messenger summons her ailing father, once a tailor of renown, to court, Maia poses as a boy and takes his place. She knows her life is forfeit if her secret is discovered, but she'll take that risk to achieve her dream and save her family from ruin. There's just one catch: Maia is one of twelve tailors vying for the job.

Backstabbing and lies run rampant as the tailors compete in challenges to prove their artistry and skill. Maia's task is further complicated when she draws the attention of the court magician, Edan, whose piercing eyes seem to see straight through her disguise.

And nothing could have prepared her for the final challenge: to sew three magic gowns for the emperor's reluctant bride-to-be, from the laughter of the sun, the tears of the moon, and the blood of stars. With this impossible task before her, she embarks on a journey to the far reaches of the kingdom, seeking the sun, the moon, and the stars, and finding more than she ever could have imagined."


Now for my review of the title. This book started slowly for me which is similar to my experience with We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal. Personally, when I read a fantasy book I want to be thrown right into the world that is different than our own. I want to know exactly what makes the book a fantasy rather than contemporary piece. I didn't see my first aspect of fantasy until chapter 9 where she used her magical scissors to create a shawl for the princess. So that was one con that I noticed in this book. The other con I have for this story is that the romance started much later in this book. That is another aspect i like my stories steeped with. However, I know that was not the main goal of this story so I'll let it slide. 

Furthermore, the pros for this story far outweigh the cons in my opinion. After chapter 10 this book picked up in magical ways. It pulled me in and I finished the remain two hundred pages in less than two hours. The magical fantasy I was waiting for was spectacularly delivered with a weaving sweet love story that made me swoon. And the author left us on a cliff hanger that I thoroughly enjoyed and hated at the same time which is exactly how a cliff hanger should make you feel. Overall, I give this book four stars simply due to the slow start that left me feeling disappointed. But the author saved herself in the final chapters! I highly recommend this book and cannot wait to read the next Fantasy Monthly book which is A House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig. Right now, they have their September box up for sale which will feature The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young the author of Sky in the Deep. I'm also very excited for that one. I'll link the website below if you're interested in order from Fantasy Monthly! 

Thanks for reading! 

Sincerely,
Kaylin Peyerk

www.fantasymonthly.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Greetings!

Hello, My name is Kaylin Peyerk and I've started this blog called Literary Dream.  I'm writing this post to welcome anyon...