Tuesday, July 23, 2019

We Hunt the Flame: Book Review

Hello! 

Today we will be talking about We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal. This book was published in May of 2019 and was the first book that was featured in the new Fantasy Monthly book box. 


Here is the synopsis: 



"People lived because she killed. People died because he lived.
Zafira is the Hunter, disguising herself as a man when she braves the cursed forest of the Arz to feed her people. Nasir is the Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his autocratic father, the sultan. If Zafira was exposed as a girl, all of her achievements would be rejected; if Nasir displayed his compassion, his father would punish him in the most brutal of ways. Both Zafira and Nasir are legends in the kingdom of Arawiya—but neither wants to be. 
goodreads.com
War is brewing, and the Arz sweeps closer with each passing day, engulfing the land in shadow. When Zafira embarks on a quest to uncover a lost artifact that can restore magic to her suffering world and stop the Arz, Nasir is sent by the sultan on a similar mission: retrieve the artifact and kill the Hunter. But an ancient evil stirs as their journey unfolds—and the prize they seek may pose a threat greater than either can imagine."

Personally I really enjoyed this book. However, it did start rather slowly for my taste. The main theme of the story did not begin until chapter ten or twelve. After that the story became extremely enrapturing and I finished it in one day! The magical Arabian theme came as a pleasant surprise and was a breath of fresh air from other YA fantasy books. I also wished the romance was a bit more prominent in this book but I suspect we will see more of it in book number two. The best part of this book was the twisting ending it had. I literally gasped when I read the last ten pages.

Overall, I give this book four stars instead of five due to the lacking of romance and the slow start. But I do highly recommend it as a different type of YA fantasy read than others I've read in the past. If you've read this book let me know what you thought of it in the comments below! 


I hope you enjoyed this review of We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal. 


Sincerely,

Kaylin Peyerk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Greetings!

Hello, My name is Kaylin Peyerk and I've started this blog called Literary Dream.  I'm writing this post to welcome anyon...